Kotal Kahn is an addition to the Mortal Kombat universe. He decided the balance of power in the Outworld as another candidate for Shao Kahn’s empty throne. And as far as the tyrant goes, he isn’t the worst that dimension has ever seen! However, that doesn’t mean he can’t be a brutal and effective fighter.
Kotal Kahn Strengths & Weaknesses
It’s hard to say exactly what makes Kotal Kahn ticked in the latest Mortal Kombat. But developer Netherrealm Studios has done us all a favor by introducing this character (and many others) in the demo videos. So we’ve got a basic idea of what will happen. However, don’t think we’re resting on our laurels! We’ll be sure to update this guide with better strengths, weaknesses, and tips once the game is over. For now, though, let’s see what we know about him.
Kotal Kahn is a pretty straightforward figure in the fight every moment. He is a master at all: with a solid projectile, a good range, and a useful range. He plays in a similar way to Jade in that these make him great at winning fights. But where he really shines is when you break his summoner spells and heal. These allow him to last longer and deal more powerful damage than an opponent – even if he doesn’t have the strongest sustained pressure. After all, you’re not an 80 hit combo when you do too much damage with your basic attack.
He is slow. Not necessarily when it comes to his personal moves, but his add-ons – a big part of playing Kotal Kahn – need time to strengthen. Summoning the totem and taking the blow both take time. Not to mention you also have to reset them if you don’t end the game quickly. This can be a better waste of time spent searching for the throat or make you more susceptible to a counterattack.
Kotal Kahn Combos Tutorial on PS4 Controls
- Soleil: Square – Triangle – Triangle
- Cuazquia: D-pad R + Square – Triangle – Triangle
- Coatl Strikes: Triangle – Triangle – Square
- Mahuiztiquez: D-pad R + Triangle – O – X
- Mehtizquia: D-pad L + Triangle – Triangle – X
- Melahuac: D-pad R + X – O
- Huehhueyi: D-pad D + D-pad L + Triangle
- Mehtizquia Cut: D-pad D + D-pad R + Triangle
- Xolai Quake: D-pad D + D-pad L + O
- Yeyecame Disk: D-pad L + D-pad R + X
- Tecuani Maul: D-pad L + D-pad R + O
- Impitzoyo: Triangle – Triangle
- Metzli: D-pad L + Square – O
Tips when playing
- This disc throw is an extremely flammable bullet. It is fast and does considerable damage on its own.
- He regains life while standing under his rays. It’s not a lot, but it still earns a decent reward if you are zapping your opponent.
- Although Kotal is left open, totem summoning can be good prey. Kotal Kahn has a quick tack that allows him to unleash aggressive attackers. Combined with the right item, this is a great way to deal more damage or heal yourself.
- His cat form is great for bridging distances. It’s faster, harder to hit, and can be used from the air. That makes it easy to reach out and make the most of your powers before they disappear.
- In addition to the healing effect, the sun’s rays will hurt any enemy that comes into contact with it, leaving a dilemma for the fighter. Should they rush into range to try to knock you out of the beam, damage yourself or let you heal a little? You can also keep them in place by throwing them under the sun’s rays to increase damage.
- Kotal can be slow, but sometimes a good way to get ahead of opponents is to catch fast. You don’t always expect slower, more powerful characters, making the opponent less likely to rush out.