Medivh is a ranged support hero with an exceptional amount of utility, which makes him one of the most flexible and adaptable heroes. His Force of Will possesses incredible synergy with Tanks and melee Assassins, in particular, Portal can be used to execute deadly ganks or tricky escape maneuvers. One of his greatest strengths is his ability to scout the battlefield with his Raven Form.
Strengths and Weaknesses of Medivh
- Flexible playstyle
- Superior utility
- Powerful crowd control
- Special scouting ability
- Works extremely well with Melee Assassin and Bruiser
- High skill curve
- Relatively low damage output
- Icon Gateway Porting the icon port requires some practice
- The Portal placement requires some practice
Talent Build of Medivh
This build focuses on both the defense and attack capabilities of Medivh. Arcane Explosion becomes an extremely powerful talent if well prepared to withstand heavy damage from the opposing team. At Level 10 we recommend either a Poly Bomb or Ley Line Seal depending on your team’s playstyle.
If you already have other AoE combo abilities available, such as Diablo’s Apocalypse, then the Ley Line Seal becomes the perfect platform for performing a devastating chain of crowd control. However, if the opposing team’s composition has aggressive Assassins, the Poly Bomb can become a great counterattack to hinder their movement and leave them defenseless for a few seconds.
Synergies and Counters
Medivh is a very powerful assassin against fierce tough Assassins. Allowing those Heroes to become Invulnerable for 1.5 seconds could get them into big plays and out of dangerous situations. A very popular combo with him is Stitches Gorge on Portal or Ley-line Seal to Diablo Apocalypse.
However, he doesn’t have any natural counter, however, he is usually vulnerable to damage over time. Damage from Poison continues to accumulate after the Force of Will expires and as such the skill loses a portion of its value. Crowd control effects, such as Malfurion’s Entangling Roots can be placed at the entrance of the Gate, preventing allies or him from moving, so when playing with those Heroes, use the Gate carefully.
Maps of Medivh
Medivh thrives on battlefields allowing him to keep track of the enemy team’s spin. Therefore, Cursed Hollow or Sky Temple are great options for him to deploy. Make sure to use the Portal to allow Allied Heroes to surprise enemies and notify your team of their moves. Mercenary and Boss Camps, in particular, are important to keep an eye on, as they allow your allies to dispute or rotate accordingly to take them down quickly.
Tips and Tricks
- Raven Form is a formidable scouting tool that can allow your team to intercept the enemy team.
- The portal can be actively used to chase down enemy Heroes and initiate teamfights from an unexpected angle. It can also be used for defense to help Allied Heroes escape.
- The Ley Line Seal could be the ideal foundation for other serial AoE capabilities. It can also be used to steal the Mercenary Barracks or the Boss if all of the enemy Heroes are trapped inside.
- The Poly Bomb can be a great tool to punish enemy aggressive Assassins, such as Tracer or Genji.