Kel’Thuzad is a long-range-oriented damage killer combined with crowd control and outstanding explosive damage. Relying on a skill shot Skill to evolve through Master of the Cold Dark makes him weak early in the game and harder than most Heroes to play, let alone master.
Strengths and Weaknesses of Kel’Thuzad
- Potent sieger
- Extremely powerful crowd control chain
- Strong situational burst damage
- Global presence through Shadow Fissure
- Weak in the early game
- Very vulnerable to mobile Heroes
- Difficult to play because all Basic Skills are skills
- Talent limited defense options and general mobility
Talent Build Kel’Thuzad
Barbed Chains (lv1) – Blight Frost, Phylactery of Kel’Thuzad (lv4) – Armor of the Archlich, Chilling Touch (lv7), Shadow Fissure (lv10), Chain of Ice (lv13) – Chain-Link, Power of Icecrown (lv16) – Hungering Cold, The Damned Return (lv20) – Might of the Scourge – Shifting Malice.
His standard build focuses on helping you attack skills and dealing massive amounts of damage. The key to playing him well is to manage your combo time. With Chilling Touch, this becomes a lot easier due to its AoE slowing ingredient. When he reaches Level 10, he has the most difficult attacks and is a key ingredient in his combos exploding.
Putting a Chains of Kel’Thuzad into Frost Nova into a Dark Rift instantly can have the ability to shoot any weak enemy champion one shot and then use the Power of Icecrown along with the magic power bonus from his Trait can help destroy enemy tanks also. If you choose to take The Damned Return at level 20, he can do a lot of damage in the siege.
Synergies and Counters
Since he relies heavily on skill shots to deal damage, he naturally works well with any Hero that can provide reliable crowd control against the target. kill for him to follow. His weakness also makes him depend on other Heroes to exploit him; Tanks tend to fulfill these two needs, although other Hero types may as well.
Since he relies heavily on skills to deal damage, he is inferior to Heroes who quickly dodge his Skills. Furthermore, his weakness and lack of bravery make him vulnerable to the agile, high-damage Heroes that can quickly approach him.
Maps of Kel’Thuzad
The early combat boost map is optimal for the ultimate goal of quickly completing Master of the Cold Dark.
Tips and Tricks
- Creating the Master of the Cold Dark stacks is paramount early on; The faster you complete this Mission, the more likely you are to snowball.
- When targeting two Heroes, the Chains of Kel’Thuzad pulls them to the midpoint between the two Heroes. Passed Frost Nova there.
- When targeting a Hero and a Glacial Spike, the talent pulls the Hero to Spike.
- Using this talent against a Frontline Hero is useful to then hit a more vulnerable backline Hero without being blocked.
- When hitting a Hero with this talent use the Glacial Spike, wait 0.5 seconds, then recreate this talent on the Spike side for an easy hit.
- Frost Nova should be used to track the talent or take control of an allied crowd.
- Frost Blast can be disabled through effects that make your target Invulnerable, such as Ice Block; Choose your target accordingly.
- Shadow Fissure pairs particularly well with a Frost Nova attack in the middle due to the Root effect.