This guide, if you haven’t already, focus on Nintendo’s marquee mascot: Mario. He is a long-standing waiting spot for many players. So it makes sense that he hasn’t changed much in Smash Ultimate. On the surface, he is almost identical to his previous versions. One major exception is Cappy from Super Mario Odyssey, who has made a few cosmetic changes to his general style.
Long ago, gamers had to visit video games to play video games. And even before they could choose the original Street Fighter, they could play Mario in his first adventure, called… Donkey Kong. Yes, that’s right, he is introduced to the world as an in-game hero with Donkey Kong – the ape kidnapped Peach, and he tries to save the one he loves.
The story continues with another arcade game. Together with Luigi, our hero fought against many different creatures in the sewers of New York. Sometime later, he was released as a hero of Game & Watch devices, and only then did his story and personality have its final shape in 1985 for the NES.
Now, it is probably the most famous story in the game. Bowser kidnaps Peach and he goes to find him in the fairy world to save the Princess.
How to Play Mario
He is one of the most effective fighters in this game. In fact, you don’t need any special advice for him – this guy is super versatile, so his abilities are just right for your personal style. Take him to a match and start fighting! Ultimate Mario is the ultimate choice for beginners to play SSBU.
At the same time, it is best not to underestimate this fighter. You can easily play him and win some. But to be really successful in the game, you should go a lot further than standard attacks. This character has quite impressive combat mechanics depth, so you have the perfect space to experiment with combos in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Mario and evolved as an SSBU player.
Most of his attacks are at close range. Even if he isn’t as fast as Sonic, his movements are quicker than in the previous game, so it might get you confused a bit.
Basic Attacks – Mario moves
- Jab is a series of quick blows: two punches with both hands and a kick.
- Dash Attack – He slides forward with his legs outstretched.
- The Forward Tilt is a big push. You can point it up or down a bit.
- Up Tilt is a top cut with rotary. Like with other Smash characters (eg Incineroar) it’s a good anti-air move.
- Down Tilt – He stroked with one leg. Consider starting Smash Ultimate combos with this.
- Neutral Air triggers a kick.
- Forward Air is a beautiful punch from him.
- With Back Air, he hits the opponent with both legs.
- Up Air – He performs a flip.
- Down Air is filming him. The warrior deals damage with his entire body.
Neutral Special – Fireball
This attack is typical of him. He shoots fiery balls in most classic games (after capturing a special flower). In the SSBU, the Fireball is quite large and it’s easy to hit the opponent with it. Many players love starting his combos with Fireball.
Side Special – Cape
He spins the opponent, causing them to look the other way. It takes practice to use this move effectively as part of the Smash Ultimate combo. In addition, the Cape reflects the ballistic trajectory.
Up Special – Super Jump Punch
He jumps high and hits strong opponents. It’s a good attack for the Smash Ultimate combos.
Down Special – F.L.U.D.D
His down B is not an attack correctly stated as it does not deal damage. It is a stream of water that he shoots at his opponent. The player uses it as a moving force for him or as an opponent motivator – against the old one.
Mario Smash Attacks
- Forward Smash is a very powerful punch with some fire effects. You can land this attack from a considerable distance.
- Up Smash is an effective solution.
- Down Smash is a pretty impressive trick – He slides and hits the opponent on both sides.
Mario Finale – after activating it, he shoots with devastating flames.